NMMS scholarship is provided to merit students in a need of financial aid. This scholarship is provided based on the exam. We have covered all the important details related to the scholarship scheme.
You will be able to easily register for this scheme, check the selection criteria, see the result for your session, and important features in the article below.
Read the article below for all the required information to become a beneficiary of the scholarship.
National Merit Cum Means Scholarship 2021
NMMS stands for National Merit Cum-Means Scholarship which was launched in May 2008.
This scheme was initiated by the school education department under the supervision of the human resource development ministry.
NMMS was launched in India to support the students from class 9th to 12th financially by granting them Rs. 12000 annually. The financially weaker sections in every state are beneficiary of this scholarship scheme.
The government conducts the examinations once a year for the selection of deserving students.
The final decision is merit-based. The scholarship is a brilliant step to encourage students to continue their higher education. This scholarship helps our human resource growth as the number of students can pursue their higher education.
Check It Out: Latest UP Scholarship News 2021
|Name of the Scheme||NMMS Scholarship|
|Launched by||Department of school education, Government of India|
|Concerned Ministry||Ministry of Education (formerly Human Resource Development)|
|Eligible State/s||Every state of India is eligible for the scheme|
|Students Eligible||Students of Class – 9th, 10th, 11th, and 12th|
|Application Mode||Offline/Online mode of application is available for registration|
|Scholarship Amount Covered||The government will provide an amount of Rs.12,000 yearly for each beneficiary of the scheme|
|Year of Implementation||2020-21|
|Main objective||To give monetary support to poor and underprivileged students|
Main Features of the NMMS Scholarship Scheme
- The selection committee selects 100000+ students annually for this scholarship scheme.
- The scholarship’s main aim is to eradicate the education burden on the student and their family after 8th class.
- The scholarship is only given to the meritorious and financially weaker candidates.
- The students are selected with a 90 minute SAT and MAT test.
- The toppers in the exams are chosen for the scheme benefits.
- Moreover, the application process is held on the NATIONAL SCHOLARSHIP PORTAL.
- The amount of scholarship is disbursed by the direct bank transfer(DBT) of the students.
- Students from every community are eligible for the exam, the condition is that the family annual income of the student should not exceed 1,50,000/- rupees.
- The government school students are focused on the scheme benefits.
- The full form of NMMS is the ‘National Means Cum Means Scholarship’.
- Every state selects the righteous and deserving candidates for the benefits of 12000 rupees annually till class 12th.
- The amount of scholarship can be renewed in class 11th and 12th.
- The student has to cover the class 7th and 8th subjects syllabus for preparation for the exam.
Benefits of the Scheme
The scholarship is very beneficial for the economically backward students in our country. The main benefit includes support of 12000 rupees yearly to the beneficiary student. Also, This scheme enables the economically weak students to get an education after the 8th class.
Generally, a student drop out ratio increases after passing out this class, because after that student mostly fails to afford the school education. Also, the NMMS scholarship gives chance to 100000 meritorious students every year to continue their secondary education.
Amount Disbursed Under NMMS
The selected beneficiaries of the scholarship get their award amount every year directly in their saving bank account through direct bank transfer of NSP.
They get their scholarship through the State Bank of India and the public financial management system.
The amount distributed to the beneficiary as follows:
- After the results are declared, the student gets his scholarship amount in class 9th and 10th each.
- The amount is a total of 12000 INR which is given in class 9th and 10th to the student.
- The student gets the amount in a one-time yearly disbursal of the scholarship.
- After class 10th, the student can apply for the renewal.
- If it gets renewed the student will get the amount in class 11th as well.
- Moreover, if the student is eligible in class 12th, he will get the benefit again after the renewal of the scholarship.
Eligibility Criteria For Applying For Scholarship
To check your eligibility for the scholarship application read the below guide carefully:
For New Applicants
- The annual family income of the student must be 1.5 lakh INR or less. Otherwise, he/she is not eligible.
- The candidate studying in a government school is eligible.
- The candidate cannot apply for the scholarship if his school provides facilities like lodging, boarding, etc.
- The applicant should not be a student of private schools, KVS, NVS.
- The general student should have scored a minimum of 55% in his annual exams of the 7th class.
- For SC students the cut-off is 50% marks in the previous yearly examinations.
- All the 8th class students are eligible for the scheme.
- The student after 10th and 11th can also apply for the renewal of the NMMS scholarship scheme.
For Renewal After 10th Class
- The student must have a score of 60% marks or more in the 10th annual board exams.
- For continuation of scholarship in class 11th, the student should clear his +1 with a minimum of 55% mark. And he will get his renewed scholarship amount in the 12th class.
The following documents are mandatory while applying for the scholarship:
- Bank account details( a/c number and IFSC code)
- Family income certificate
- Residence proof
- Caste certificate
- Disability certificate(if any)
- Ration card
- Mobile number
- A Passport size photo
- Result of class 7th and 8th
- Aadhaar card
Procedure For Online Application of NMMS Scholarship 2021
To apply online for the NMMS scholarship exam, read the proper step guide below:
- In the first step, go to the official website of the NMMS.
- A new homepage will open on your computer screen
- Now select the ‘new registration’ option on the nenu bar
- On that page guidelines for the application process are given in detail. Read that detail briefly.
- Then tick the boxes to agree on the terms and conditions of the scholarship on the page.
- After that click on the option ‘continue’.
- You will be forwarded to the next page for further procedure.
- On the following page, enter the details mentioned below:
- Student Name
- Identification proof
- Date of Birth
- Scholarship type
- Scholarship name
- Bank account number
- Account IFSC code
- Mobile number
- Email Id
- Then enter the captcha code in the box.
- Finally, click on the ‘Submit’ button for successful online submission
Offline Application Procedure For NMMS Scholarship
To register offline for the scholarship read the detailed guide we have prepared for you below:
- Visit the official website of the National Scholarship Portal.
- You will be redirected to the homepage.
- Then you have to click on the option, ‘NMMS scholarship’.
- After that, you will be forwarded to the next page.
- On that page, click on the download option.
- The application form for the registration will be downloaded on your device.
- Take a printout of the form.
- After that fill the form with all the required details.
- Now visit any nearest office of the scholarship department to submit your form.
SAT and MAT Examinations 2021
There is an exam conducted which comprises of two different tests for the student in the selection process.
The first test is comprised of questions to test the scholastic aptitude while the other test helps in assessing the reasoning ability of the candidate.
Both tests should be completed under a 90-minute duration. The specially-abled students are provided extra minutes to complete the exam. The exam results decide who will be selected for the scholarship grant.
The details of both tests are as follow:
- The first test name is MAT (mental ability test)
- The test duration is 90 minutes.
- This test checks the previous academic knowledge of the candidate.
- The student has to cover the syllabus of preceding classes to pass the exams.
- This test comprises questions for 90 marks on the subjects given below:
ENGLISH COMPREHENSION AND GRAMMAR – 20 marks
MENTAL ABILITY – 45 marks
HINDI COMPREHENSION AND GRAMMAR – 25 marks
- The second one is SAT(scholastic aptitude test)
- Another test evaluates the class 8th and previous class knowledge of the student.
- SAT is also taken under a 90-minute time scale.
- The subjects covered for a total of 100 marks questions are as follows:
SOCIAL STUDIES – 35 marks
SCIENCE – 35 marks
MATHEMATICS – 35 marks
How To Check NMMS Exam Results 2021
Follow the steps below to check your NMMS exam result online:
- The first step is to visit the official website of NSP.
- The next step is to select the link provided for the result on the homepage.
- You will be forwarded to the next page.
- Now a pdf file can be downloaded for the result.
- In that pdf file, you can easily search for your name, father’s name and check your marks.
- You can know from the list if you are selected or not.
Candidates for the exam are selected on a merit basis, the highest-scoring students are selected from every state and UT.
There are minimum percentage slabs that are decided for the selection of deserving candidates. Read the below points to know properly the minimum marks required to pass the exam.
- The student must score at least 40% marks in the SAT.
- The candidate needs to score a minimum of 40% marks in MAT.
- The General, OBC, EWS category student has to achieve 40% marks to pass the exam.
- The SC and ST students have to score at least 32% marks in each test to pass the NMMS exam.
- Also, remember the above guide if about the passing criteria for the exam. The student is selected according to the highest ranks. Toppers in the exams achieve the NMMS scholarship grant.
In the article, we have covered the overall topics of NMMS scholarship. For any further queries related to the scholarship programme, you can contact on the helpline number 0120-6619540.
You can also mail your problem on their official email id given below: